Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

A hot day to track the car

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I’ll just leave this with nothing more than BMR lockouts for suspension, non ported upper pulley only “inefficient” IHI, and even stock throttle body. No fancy suspension controller, no fancy suspension arms, stock axles, 17” wheels. Runs it every time in 3k+ da, mph is down a bit - typically 142

IMG_6441.jpeg

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #22
Thanks @1971demon. I like the share from real world experience. I have the bare minimum to get to where I need to be - entire point of racing is to go as fast as you can for as cheap as you can. I don’t just throw the catalog at it based on what shops say because they want my money. I won’t be sharing anymore, wish him the best of luck.
Thanks.

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #23
I’ll just leave this with nothing more than BMR lockouts for suspension, non ported upper pulley only “inefficient” IHI, and even stock throttle body. No fancy suspension controller, no fancy suspension arms, stock axles, 17” wheels. Runs it every time in 3k+ da, mph is down a bit - typically 142

View attachment 143561
Good job.
Id love to see you run at my track where the DA is 4200 and they dont prep. ;) but regardless, good for you, thats impressive with minimal work.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Thanks @1971demon. I like the share from real world experience. I have the bare minimum to get to where I need to be - entire point of racing is to go as fast as you can for as cheap as you can. I don’t just throw the catalog at it based on what shops say because they want my money. I won’t be sharing anymore, wish him the best of luck.
My racing days ended in 1976...(stone age technology by todays standards...)...racing nonetheless...ran my 71 Demon in SS/IA...then on to bracket racing.."called ET in it's infancy"...married just before my 21st birthday..became a father a year later...and had to grow up and learn to be a father..raced 1 more year than sold the car...the kid that bought my car campaigned it for years...made the cover of then National Dragster magazine as he won the points champion ship @ all the three local tracks here in the same year...he still has a ton of pics...wish I could post them......not tech savory but am always amazed @ how the sport has changed...and what you guys are able to make these cars do...have never been back to the track..(even to spectate).. I'm like a recovered alcoholic...I know I'd be hooked..have the resources to build and campaign a car...just don't have the time...but I remember the days like they were yesterday...begged borrowed and stole every dollar I had to put in the car...and I don't regret a moment of it

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
It’s called “the itch” lol. That’s awesome, at least you got to enjoy it and live it
My racing days ended in 1976...(stone age technology by todays standards...)...racing nonetheless...ran my 71 Demon in SS/IA...then on to bracket racing.."called ET in it's infancy"...married just before my 21st birthday..became a father a year later...and had to grow up and learn to be a father..raced 1 more year than sold the car...the kid that bought my car campaigned it for years...made the cover of then National Dragster magazine as he won the points champion ship @ all the three local tracks here in the same year...he still has a ton of pics...wish I could post them......not tech savory but am always amazed @ how the sport has changed...and what you guys are able to make these cars do...have never been back to the track..(even to spectate).. I'm like a recovered alcoholic...I know I'd be hooked..have the resources to build and campaign a car...just don't have the time...but I remember the days like they were yesterday...begged borrowed and stole every dollar I had to put in the car...and I don't regret a moment of it

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #26
Good on you man. You have memories that cant be taken and money cant buy. Ive learnt more from humble old school dragsters than I have with the new age kids conducting their pissing matches. The knowledge you have I bet is invaluable in this sport. Congrats man. Hate to see you havent returned but I understand.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
It’s called “the itch” lol. That’s awesome, at least you got to enjoy it and live it
Started with a 69 383 RR as a junior in HS..(the car was a slug)...bought the 340 Demon as a senior in HS...started tearin it apart and moddin it the 3rd wk I owned it...(drove my father nuts)...my (now wife) used to help me wrench...she was only 17..lol

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Good on you man. You have memories that cant be taken and money cant buy. Ive learnt more from humble old school dragsters than I have with the new age kids conducting their pissing matches. The knowledge you have I bet is invaluable in this sport. Congrats man. Hate to see you havent returned but I understand.
It was a glorious time...;)

SilverBillet

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Started with a 69 383 RR as a junior in HS..(the car was a slug)...bought the 340 Demon as a senior in HS...started tearin it apart and moddin it the 3rd wk I owned it...(drove my father nuts)...my (now wife) used to help me wrench...she was only 17..lol
You didn’t know enough about how to make that RoadRunner sing when you were that young…or you may not have had the money to do it. I bought a new 69 RoadRunner 383 4 speed back in the day. It was the basic 3.23 single track 22” radiator RoadRunner. A year later, I went with a 4.30 rear for $125 (installed), recurved the distributor with full mechanical advance coming in at 900 rpm’s ($35), 160 thermostat, flex lite fiberglass fan and a 440 AVS for $50 and a set of Hooker 1 3/4 headers for $125 and some ASP glass packs. I still think those mufflers were worth a tenth!:LOL:. It was one of the quickest around back then. Loved that car as much as any to date…and I’ve had a few nice cars.[driving] IMG_9992.jpeg

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
You didn’t know enough about how to make that RoadRunner sing when you were that young…or you may not have had the money to do it. I bought a new 69 RoadRunner 383 4 speed back in the day. It was the basic 3.23 single track 22” radiator RoadRunner. A year later, I went with a 4.30 rear for $125 (installed), recurved the distributor with full mechanical advance coming in at 900 rpm’s ($35), 160 thermostat, flex lite fiberglass fan and a 440 AVS for $50 and a set of Hooker 1 3/4 headers for $125 and some ASP glass packs. I still think those mufflers were worth a tenth!:LOL:. It was one of the quickest around back then. Loved that car as much as any to date…and I’ve had a few nice cars.[driving] View attachment 143562
I was 17...it was my first car...the only mods I had money for...a set of Hedman headers....(on sale for 59.99)..with flange bolt on thrush mufflers...(no pipes)..3:23's torque flight auto...that's it...I went to an all boy private Catholic HS...I had the coolest car as a junior..then as a senior an even cooler 71 Demon 340...I was one of maybe 4 or 5 guys that had cars..none were cool

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #31
You didn’t know enough about how to make that RoadRunner sing when you were that young…or you may not have had the money to do it. I bought a new 69 RoadRunner 383 4 speed back in the day. It was the basic 3.23 single track 22” radiator RoadRunner. A year later, I went with a 4.30 rear for $125 (installed), recurved the distributor with full mechanical advance coming in at 900 rpm’s ($35), 160 thermostat, flex lite fiberglass fan and a 440 AVS for $50 and a set of Hooker 1 3/4 headers for $125 and some ASP glass packs. I still think those mufflers were worth a tenth!:LOL:. It was one of the quickest around back then. Loved that car as much as any to date…and I’ve had a few nice cars.[driving] View attachment 143562
Yall.are killing me with the pricing of stuff. Sheesh i wish.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Yall.are killing me with the pricing of stuff. Sheesh i wish.
Yup..the local speed shop...Sport & Custom had those headman headers on sale for 59.99...Chrome reverse rims...19.99 each...I ran those with chrome baby moons...the car was silver with black hood stripes..black bench seat...fold open rear windows...no power steering...no air...bare bones...but it looked cool..and I was only 17...

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Yup..the local speed shop...Sport & Custom had those headman headers on sale for 59.99...Chrome reverse rims...19.99 each...I ran those with chrome baby moons...the car was silver with black hood stripes..black bench seat...fold open rear windows...no power steering...no air...bare bones...but it looked cool..and I was only 17...
Almost forgot...put shackles on the back to give it a bit of rake..it was the thing to do in"70"...lol

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Almost forgot...put shackles on the back to give it a bit of rake..it was the thing to do in"70"...lol
when I traded in in on my new 71 Demon...$3100.00...they gave me $ 1200 on a trade in...3100 seemed like 10 grand..I was in HS workin part time jobs after school...think the minimum wage was maybe $1.25 an hr @ the most...lol

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
when I traded in in on my new 71 Demon...$3100.00...they gave me $ 1200 on a trade in...3100 seemed like 10 grand..I was in HS workin part time jobs after school...think the minimum wage was maybe $1.25 an hr @ the most...lol
Gas was .27 cents a gallon...but Sunoco 260...was .44 cents a gallon...still a ton of money for gas...

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #36
Gas was .27 cents a gallon...but Sunoco 260...was .44 cents a gallon...still a ton of money for gas...
Good Gah. I wish man. I wish

SilverBillet

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I adjusted my torsion bars to raise the front end higher than the stock look. I thought that would help me get better traction. IMG_0811.jpeg